Sunday, August 21, 2011

RSP Weekend

I just finished up my first and only RSP weekend. I really enjoyed it.

It started at 0745 with morning formation. Fortunately, I was able to quickly catch on the basics (attention, parade rest, dress/cover, etc), but of course, the atmosphere was everyone helping everyone. RSP is to prepare you for BCT.
However, we did get smoked a few times. A couple of times it was because we did not sound off or follow instructions like we should have. Other times it was because no one called "at ease" when an NCO entered the room. But it was not too bad.

In the mornings we focused on PT. Saturday it was the PT assessment (or PT test for stripes for skills). The assessment was a 1 mile run, 1 min pushups/situps. They stopped us as soon as we hit the minimum pass requirements on the pushups/situps, so I am not too sure how well I could have done, but I passed. As for the run, I will have you know that this "old guy" was second to finish at 6:41! (HUA) Definitely made me feel good.
Today's (Sunday's) PT was pretty hardcore. We started with an apprx 5 mile run. I do not think I have ever run 5 miles. I thought for sure I would fall out. But again, the "old guy" lead the way. Other than two times when the group went from the normal pace to an all out run did I fall behind the 5 rank (line), which was the front apprx 20%. Of course, the cadence was what helped the most. They are fun and they take your mind off the running. It also helps keep your breathing on rhythm.
I thought I was good to go when I finished the run, but the SGTs had something else in mind. Another 30 minutes or so of pushups/situps/etc. I thought I was going to pass out from lack of water. (ADVICE - hydrate, a lot, before an RSP weekend)
After PT we showered and went back to formation. On Saturday, this was followed by a short class then chow. On Sunday, we had a short Chapel service followed by chow. Chapel service was optional. Those that did not want to be at Chapel performed some detail (chores) during that time.
The afternoon was pretty good too. Saturday, we had some classes. The coolest class was tactical movement. I got some introduction to different tactical formations and actually performed a battle drill. It was nice to have something different from all the administrative stuff I had been doing.
On Sunday, I spent my time in the afternoon finishing up paperwork needed before I shipped.
All in all, it was a great weekend. It is nice to know, based on the word of those fresh out of BCT, that the hardcore PT this morning was tougher than the beginning of BCT. So I should have no problem.
I guess if I would give someone going to RSP some advice it would be:
-Read the materials they give you prior so that you have what you need (the right clothing/uniforms, etc)
-Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
-Go in with an open mind and good attitude. They will be easy on you (not with PT but in correcting you) if it is your first time at RSP. They know you don't know anything.

Well, that is about all I can think to say about RSP weekend. My next post will be from Ft Leonard Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment