Monday, September 19, 2011

Day -1 and Day 0

Day -1 is what I am referring to for my traveling as there was not much that happened. I was, however, quickly introduced to the Army's hurry up and wait philosophy.
They had me report at 0645, at the airport at 0930 for an 1830 flight. Needless to say, RDU is not where I wanted to spend my day. But I found ways to pass the time between phone apps and repeated calls to my wife.
I arrived in St. Louis around 1915 where I reported to the USO. That was a great facility with free snacks, drinks, and many other amenities.
After waiting at the USO for a few hours, the bus was finally ready to take me and the other recruits to FLW. But that was a looonnngg bus ride.
Finally at 0200 on Day 0, I arrived at FLW, home for the next ten weeks. We learned a little about the facility, got rid of any contraband, and got a hot meal prior to getting to our bunks.
I think I slept for all of 1.5 hours (including the bus ride).
At 0400, the day--and reception--really began. We saw a lot more personality in our Drill Sergeants (DS) too, who didn't seem to sympathize with our lack of sleep. :)
Many, many things took place today from medical and dental screenings, a trip to the PX (store) for supplies, and the best part, uniforms. It felt much better when we were finally able to stand in our full ACUs with brand new boots. Finally, I started to feel like the transition to soldier had really begun.
Now we've all showered and I'm trying to figure out how to organize the tons of stuff I received today as we await personal time, and what I've been looking forward to most, LIGHTS OUT!
I think that's about all my sleep deprived brain can handle for now, other than to mention that God is making His presence known at every corner. He has made it even more clear to me that this is in fact something He's been calling me to.
Thank you, family and friends, for your continued prayers and support.
We hope to start BCT on Friday, soon after, I should have my address.

No comments:

Post a Comment