Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 1

Today was a lot better, but I'm even more tired of reception. The sleep helped a lot, but there was plenty more of the hurry up and wait.
I keep looking at the highlights though and that gets me through.
Today, we took care of paperwork for pay, got our rank insignias, and had a dental screening.
The DSs turned up the heat a bit today though, especially with chow. Only a few minutes to gobble down the food and drink. It's necessary though as there are a ton of us here to eat and finish processing.
It looks like we'll be shipping on Saturday. Seeing graduates today in their ASUs made me even more ready to get out of here and get on with training.
I've heard rumors before I shipped that phones were permitted at reception, but so far, that's not happened and it doesn't appear that it will. It seems that it all depends on where you go and who your DS is.
I will have my first fire guard tonight, so there won't be a full night's rest, but I think I am already getting used to the perpetual tiredness. (Fire guard is where two soldiers watch over the bay in 1 hr. shifts.)
Advice to future solders would be to go ahead and learn the soldier's creed, general orders, the army values, and the army song prior to coming. I did, and it has already proven quite valuable.
For those of you who know my wife or are friends with me on facebook, I hope to have my address in the next few days.
That's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment