Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Nov. 3, 2011 Day 48

Finally in the teens! 19 days until graduation! Of course, the temperature here seems to be moving in the same direction. We usually eat chow around 0630. This morning we left chow, in our winter PTs (windbreakers) and marched back through falling snow.
The weather was pretty crappy all day, so we spent the day inside. Guess what we did for the most part? If you guessed more Drill and Ceremony practice, you're right.
All of us started joking around about hell freezing over (due to the snow) and said we'd get everything we want today. Well, we didn't get everything, but we did have some amazing lasagna at lunch and sloppy joes for dinner. Then we we got back, it was another mail call and we had 20 minute phone time!
It was so great to talk to my wife and son today.
One thing I should mention, when in BCT, don't believe anything until it happens. Our leaves dates, training events, etc. continue to change and cost us money. It's part of it. Just be prepared.
[Insert note from Dee...i.e. we were told Brian would leave BCT on Friday, Nov. 25. Now we've been told he will leave Wednesday, Nov. 23. I had already booked my plane ticket, hotel, car rental, etc. to be there for Family Day, graduation, and his two off-base pass days. This change in plans caused me hours on the phone with representatives, tons of extra research and extra money in order to change all of my reservations. I booked them in advance in order to avoid the hassle and fees with last minute plans. I was given this information less than 3 weeks before travel and expected just to be able to change it. REALLY FRUSTRATING from this end.]
The last thing I'll mention is that I am now the platoon's M-240B gunner. I have no idea how long it will last. All I know is that it isn't light (25 lbs.) and I get to carry it everywhere like an M-16. I suppose I'll just be stronger for it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment