Saturday, November 5, 2011

Oct. 31, 2011

Happy Halloween! For the most part, it wasn't too bad. We started the morning with an ability group run. Actually, let me back up, we started the morning with a light smoking. Really it was more of a singeing.
We were supposed to be ready, on the line, at 0430 this morning. Our DS walked in at 0415 and dropped us for not being ready. The frustrating part was, we were almost there. But we sucked it up as PT and moved on.
After the ability group run, I ate a great breakfast, and we headed to the electronic range for the first day of ARM training. I got a perfect score on targets (20 out of 20) both times, but I missed a couple of shots my first time and one on my second. There are two shots, a double-tap, per target. We'll see how this transfers to the live range tomorrow.
When we got back, I was put on a detail that took us by some new arrivals having their Day 1 shark attack. It brought back some memories, but their's was no where near as long or severe as ours.
Tonight, DS surprised us. She brought her kids, in costume, and they gave us all one piece of Halloween candy. (In case you're wondering, they were Spiderman, Batman, and a corpse bride.) I was given bottle caps by Spiderman (AKA the 3 year old Drill Sergeant). But one PVT was kind enough to give me one Reese Piece so I could have some hint of chocolate. I never though I could be satisfied by a piece of candy so small, but it was amazing!
Today has had some singing worth sharing too. First, one of the PVTs here is from Canada originally. I think I've mentioned him before. Someone mentioned Celine Dion and he went crazy. People started singing different songs, so I, in honor of the Washburns, busted out, "I Drove All Night." I'm sure you're all proud.
In closing, I forgot to mention something really cool about the ruck march Thursday. To some, it may sound corny, but whatever. Early in BCT, I noticed these blue flowers. You don't see them that frequently. They are wild and grow very sporadically. For some reason, every time I saw one, I thought of my wife and could feel her encouragement. I even mailed her a couple. So now, they have become a symbol to me of the encouragement, support, and love I have back home. On the ruck march, it seemed like every time I let my head drop from being tired, frustrated, thinking of the long road ahead, I would see one of these blue flowers. To me, it was amazing that these symbols I have only seen a few times prior seemed to be in the perfect spot along the ruck march to help me stay focused and driving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment