Saturday, October 15, 2011

Oct. 11, 2011 Day 25

Today was a little rough for some of us. My battle buddy heard some horrible news on the phone last night. Please keep him in your prayers.
Really though, it should have been a great day. Today was the first US Weapons day. We got to fire grenade launchers. One lucky dog got to shoot an anti-tank round. We were all supposed to shoot tracer sim rounds from the AT weapons, but they determined it was too dry and were concerned about starting fires.
At lunch chow, things got rough for me. I started feeling a bit sick on my stomach. That normally wouldn't be a big deal. Just use the latrine and move on. But the only latrine at the range was--well--let's just say unacceptable for sitting. Imagine a giant concrete portojohn. It looks like a full-on latrine, but there is not water, just a pit beneath. So when you enter, you're slammed with the trapped fumes from weeks before. I suffered and stayed strong for about 3 hours, but I eventually had to cave in. Let's just say of all the confidence/bravery tests/mind games/etc. this was by far the worst. I wanted to return to the gas chamber just to get the smell out of my nose.
When we got back, we had a few brief classes and headed up for personal hygiene.

No comments:

Post a Comment