Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oct. 22, Day 36

Today was another odd BCT day. It should have been a great day. The weather was beautiful again, and the only thing on the agenda was shooting. Unfortunately, two things ruined that potential.
First, I really stunk up the range. We had two practice rounds. My first round I only shot 25. My second round, I only shot 20, which doesn't even qualify. The DS warned up before that this particular range was horrible. We compared scores afterwards and found that everyone did worse. But we will be qualifying on the range right next to it, which is said to be worse. How can one be bad you ask? Well for one, the targets are placed differently, which makes transitioning a little odd. Secondly, the background is different, causing it to be more difficult to pick out the long range, green targets from the foliage background. And third, the firing positions were difficult to get into a comfortable position because of how they're built.
Excuses aside though, I have to do better. I never though I might actually have a problem qualifying.
The second thing that impacted the day was the immaturity and hypocrisy within the bay. I've kept a pretty good outlook to date on the males in our platoon, but this week was difficult. The DS put the people with the lowest reviews in charge and today, maybe due to my frustration on the firing line, my patience and tolerance started wearing thin.
There will be different leadership come Monday, but after today, I would like to ask for prayer so that I continue keeping a positive attitude.
One word of advice to future soldiers: the targets for qualification run based on the "qualification table." In other words, the sequence never changes. Pay attention during practice, and you will eventually learn what target is coming next, giving you a little more time to engage. Now if I can only learn to take that time myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment