Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oct. 5, 2011 Day 14

Today we returned to the firing range for those who did not group/zero on Monday. I did group/zero, so it was a little boring. Fortunately, even though I wasn't on detail, DS selected me to help with some things. So I stayed busy, which equals happy around here.
Apparently, based on DS statements and the looks of some targets, we have a great group of shooters. My goal for qualification is expert.
Qualification is when you shoot at 40 different targets and have to make 23 to pass, X for sharp, X for expert. I want all 40!
Mail here comes in waves. FLW is a very large installation; larger than I realized. So it's a large effort to sort the mail out correctly. For me yesterday, this meant pushups. Our DS had us "pay" for our mail. I received 6 letters yesterday, at 20 pushups per letter. You do the math. But every single pushup was worth the letters from my wife, encouraging words and family updates, from my parents, and more encouragement from my grandparents.
One piece of advice to those that follow. It would "behoove" you to grant your spouse or someone you trust (with your life) some level of power of attorney. There are many people here who are having to worry and miss bits of training because of stuff back home that could have been easily handled with that document.
Morale in the platoon keeps heading in the right direction. Each night, PVT Bright and I serve as the bay radio, taking requests of familiar songs. It may sound a little odd or corny, but when you have no access to music otherwise, you do what you need to. Music soothes the soul.
Every day that passes, I realize (and am thankful), that my platoon is a really great one to be in. We recognize that many of the other companies do not seem to carry the same level of discipline and professionalism. For some, that may not mean a lot, but for me, if I'm going to do this, I want to do it 100%!
From the letters last night, it seemed that you all are a bit worried about my lack of sleep/rest. Don't be. My body was able to quickly adjust to the new sleep (or should I say "wake") cycle. No doubt this was thanks to God and to your prayers. Don't get me wrong, it's still not easy, but it is definitely doable.
We'll get our next haircut this weekend, and if we play our cards right, we'll phase! It may seem odd, but all of us are ready to be bald again. The hair that's grown is unshaped and very annoying in the BCT environment.
If I did not explain it already, there are three phases in BCT: red, white & blue. We are in red phase now, which is total control. White phase is lead more by the soldiers themselves with platoon guides, squad leaders, etc. Blue phase, the graduation phase, is even more soldier guided. The DSs call the phases control, mentor, and coach.
Okay, so one funny thing that happened yesterday. When we finished with mail call, we went to our bay to read our letters, show off new pictures, etc. About ten minutes in, the door flew open. It was one of our DSs and he seemed pissed. (Note that this is the most calm DS we have.) He yelled for one of the privates and started lighting him up with "What in the **** do you think you're doing?!?!" etc, etc. We were all wetting our pants for the guy. It was pretty intimidating. Then the DS cracked a smile and said, "Here's your letter." We all breathed the biggest sigh of relief I think we've had here.
Well, that's all for today. Thank you all for continuing to pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment