Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oct. 18, 2011

BCT has officially become a roller coaster. Not the fun kind. It's more the kind of roller coaster made from 100 year old rickety timber with the vertical drops combined with a lack of working harnesses so that you have to use every ounce to hold yourself in. Somehow, we have all managed to stay relatively focused and positive, but it hasn't been easy.
As you are already aware, we recently lost our phase banner. This morning, DS Lockhart got his opportunity to let us know how he felt about it. In fact, in our first formation he told us we were going to get smoked especially hard in the evening.
The day itself would not have been too bad if it wasn't for the looming memory of DS's warning. Our day was spent doing Post Detail. Basically, our company was sent to different areas of the base to do odd tasks. (Oh, forgot to mention it is all of a sudden 40 degrees, rainy, and windy...brrrr!)
I was selected to be part of a four person team. Then my stomach started churning when I realized my team would be led by the still-steaming DS. But one we got in the truck, DS was actually very chill. For the entire morning we rode in the truck policing roads for trash and conversing about the military and the platoon. I was glad to realize that I was on that team, at least in part, because DS considered me and the others to be (at least mostly) squared away.
Unfortunately, the mostly relaxing day, except for the anticipation, had to end. After dinner chow, we learned some new exercises. I think I lost 5 lbs. of sweat tonight during the smoking. For me though, I just try to keep thinking of it as PT, getting stronger. But I will admit, for whatever reason, it was a bit harder to stay positive tonight.
The great thing is though, when other platoons would be at each other's throats, we kept pretty calm.
I'll close with a great DS comment: "Why are you wearing your sleeves like that PVT? Are you Emo? I wish my pizzas were as Emo as you so they'd cut themselves."
Okay, so it's horrible, but it's funny, and today, we all needed a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment